Correct Names For Kitchen Appliances

Cooktop, Hob, Oven, Range, Stove – What Does It Mean?

Most people feel fairly confident that they know the names of their appliances. There are many items in our homes and kitchens that we use every day, but what some people don’t realize is that they may be calling their favorite appliance by the wrong name.

Correct Names For Kitchen Appliances

For example, one of the most common errors is between a stove and a range. These terms are often applied to the each other,but there is actually a noticeable difference.Think you know your kitchen appliances well? Take a look at today’s information and find out if you have been calling your appliance by the wrong name.

What’s a Range?

A range actually refers to an appliance that is the combination between a stove top and an oven in one unit. The lower part with a door is called an oven, which is typically used for baking or broiling food.

The burners on the top of the appliance are called the stove top, but may also be known as a cooktop or hob. A hob usually refers to a stove top with four burners.

In the past, ‘stove’ was also used to refer to appliances that are used for heating. An oven does not need to be part of a stove as it can be its own appliance.

So What’s The Right Term?

Overall, if you have an appliance with just burners, it should be referred to as a cooktop or hob. If there is an appliance just for baking/broiling without any attached burners, it should be called an oven. If you have both burners and an oven, then the correct term is a range.

If you require help installing, repairing, or maintaining a stove, oven, range, cooktop, or hob in Denver, please contact All Area Appliances Service!

Share this: